Thursday, October 4, 2007

Wednesday Night Round Up

Good morning all. Well, we had another Wednesday come and go, and, there was a lot of good T.V. on last night, and, sadly, some really crappy shows as well.

To begin, I think that Bionic Woman is really an amazing piece of work. It is going to have a great internal mythology, a lot of mystery, and solid acting. Isiah Washington, formerly of Grey's Anatomy, was pretty damn great last night, and I look forward to see more of him. One thing that really struck me though was the sudden death of the doctor who made Jamie our new little Bionic dynamo.

I know that he was shot last week, but, somehow, I thought that he would pull through. I mean if his company can make Jamie the Bionic Woman, why on earth can't they fix his gun shot wound? Did Chris Bowers get better work? Anybody know?

Not surprisingly, Private Practice was terrible. I feel like actress Kate Walsh must know that the show is just not any good, and is therefore over acting, to make it worse, so she can go back to Grey's in a bit part, in order to share screen time with McBitchy. Even McFiance stated, after watching "I'll give it one more episode". She LOVES Grey's (as do I, I just hate the main character), so her not liking it, that has to be trouble for producers. The only two cast members I can tolerate are Tim Daly, and Taye Diggs, not only because they are awesome, but, because they at least seem to be acting well, given the crap they have to say. But even then, it still had problems, big ones. I mean, any time there is a major emergency on the show, they call an ambulance. It happened last week, and this week, Taye did the same thing. Perhaps they just want us to make sure we know that they have a co-op clinic, although, the feel good group meetings at the beginning of the show certainly bash us over the head with that concept. Or maybe they just want to give more screen time to the Chief of Medicine at St. Anthony's, which is possible, given the fact that she is the only likable female character on the show.

This crap will not make it past 13 episodes, trust me.

Pushing Daisies was fairly unreal on every level. I was expecting it to be a bit more noir than it was. I totally did not expect the "Big Fish" feel to it. Also, I had no clue that Kristen Chenowith, formerly of The West Wing, and Wicked was in it. I don't know how to describe it, other than cheesy, surreal, odd, fun, and amazing. It is completely a show you have to watch to understand it, and one, I think, that you will have to see from the beginning to appreciate. I am big fan of the creator, Bryan Fuller, who got his start on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, as a writer. And has been involved with, or created, some amazing shows. I also deeply enjoyed Wonderfalls, despite its short tenure, and this show, definitely has that sort of cooky feel to it. Watch it, it is great.

Finally, I have to give a shout out today to South Park from last night. Wow. That show continues to amaze me. Not only do they get away with murder because of their format, but, the show REALLY knows itself so well. I will not get the quote right, but when Cartman says to Kyle, "I can go on t.v., and let the jews really have it, and people won't say anything, they will call me brilliant, I might win an emmy." I mean, not only does this come a week after South Park won another Emmy, but honestly, that is what South Park has done. They pick any group, say horrible things about them, and win Emmy's, because it is called brilliant. I don't know how they do it, but I am amazed.

No comments: